insights, ironies and idiosyncrasies in communication and design

from the wide, wide world and the world wide web

Tuesday 17 August 2010

Scary Spice.




For maximising the potential of social media in masterly fashion I take my hat off to W+K – but, strategy aside, and ignoring the fact that the Old Spice executions rely more heavily on irony than insight, I'm really not being swept away with the online tide because I just can't erase the stench of the anticlimax of unwrapping a present and finding a gift pack of aftershave, deodorant spray and talc rather than a toy or at least some chocolate bursting out of my stocking on Christmas morning.

Specifically, while the multiple online replies are the result of a superb piece of planning, the branding is scarily really just dressing (smelly) mutton up as lamb.

No comments: